Lowwood Gunpowder Woprks 1798 - 1935

You are here: Home > Low Wood > Lowwood 1798 - 1935

Lowwood Gunpowder Works 1798-1935

photo of Lowwood Gunpowder Works by D Birchall copyright Artemis Media 2007This area of Cumbria had at one time seven gunpowder works the oldest of which was Old Sedgwick being established in 1764 and the youngest of these was Black Beck established in 1860.
 
The Lowwood works were built on the site of an Iron Furnace built by Isaac Wilkinson the father of John Wilkinson the famous Iron Master of Backbarrow and Iron Bridge. A license to manufacture gunpowder at Lowwood was granted at the Lancaster Quarter Sessions on the 22nd October 1798 to a partnership. The senior partner was a Mr Daye Barker who had previously been involved in the cotton trade, the others were Mr James King who owned the estates at Finsthwaite, Mr Christopher Wilson (junior) from a Kendal banking family and Captain James Foyer a retired ships captain who acted as the company's agent in Liverpool. The site was rented from the Bigland family of Bigland Hall Backbarrow throughout its operational life.
 
Ronald Mein

The photo shows the now renovated magazine situated near to Greenodd

It didn't take long for them to realise that it was unwise to storer the gunpowder close to the works, so once the mix had been completed the barrels of gunpowder were moved cautiously to magazines which would be built some distance from the mill.

photo of a restored Gunpowder magazine near Greenodd

Manufacturing Operations at Low Wood

 


Quick Links to Village News Pages

 

spacer image - Haverthwaite & Backbarrow

 This site is hosted by Cumbria Business Portal - Artemis Media